Q:  What is the IRS Form 1098-T?

A:  The Form 1098-T is a statement that colleges and universities are required to issue to certain students.  It provides the total dollar amount paid by the student for what is referred to as qualified tuition and related expenses (or QTRE) in a single tax year.

Q:  When will I receive my Form 1098-T?

A:  Your Form 1098-T will be available to you electronically on or before January 31 (or the next business day) through the Web Advisor Self Service.  Log in as a current student, and choose “View My 1098-T Forms” under the Financial Information heading. 

Q:  Why don’t the numbers on Form 1098-T equal the amounts I paid to KCKCC during the year?

A:  There are potentially several reasons for this discrepancy.  First, the amount in Box 1 only represents amounts paid for QTRE.  This does not include payments made for room and board, or other additional student fees, which though are important, are not considered mandatory education expenses for tax purposes.  Secondly, Form 1098-T reports amounts that the student paid in a calendar year, and the pay date does not necessarily correspond to the attendance dates.  For example, tuition for the Spring 2019 semester is typically billed in November (2018) so a student may have paid tuition for Spring 2019 semester in the 2018 calendar year, despite the fact that classes didn’t start until 2019.  The best and most accurate source of information about the amounts that you paid for QTRE will be your registration statement.

Q:  Does the 1098-T include charges for books?

A:  No, KCKCC does not include amounts paid for books.  You should consult with your tax advisor to determine if payments for books, equipment or fees are considered when preparing your income tax returns and determining eligibility for education tax credits or deductions.

Q:  What semesters are included in my Form 1098-T?

A:  Typically, charges are posted to your student account in November for the spring semester and as early as April for the summer and fall semesters.  Box 1 of Form 1098-T reflects payments made during the calendar year for QTRE and is not based on the billed or attendance dates.  Your tuition statement will show the dates payments were posted to your account and are a valuable resource for determining the semesters that are included in your Form 1098-T.  You can access your tuition statement in the registration statement.

Q:  I graduated in May of 2019.  Do I have a Form 1098-T for 2019?

A:  Some May 2019 graduates will not receive a 2019 Form 1098-T because there is a possibility that payments for QTRE for Spring 2019 were posted on or before December 31, 2018.  If a student pays for the Spring 2019 semester and any other outstanding (prior year) QTRE charges in 2018, then the student will not receive a 2019 Form 1098-T. 

Q:  How do I prepare my tax returns without a Form 1098-T?

A:  For 1098-T reports payments received from the student for QTRE (Box 1) during the preceding calendar year.  However, if the student receives scholarships or grants in the preceding year in excess of the amounts they paid in QTRE, KCKCC is not required to issue a Form 1098-T to the student.  When determining your eligibility for education related tax credits and deductions, you will need to report the amount you paid for QTRE.  Therefore, your tuition statement will be the best and most accurate source of information for amounts paid for QTRE.  This is true regardless of whether you receive a Form 1098-T or not.

Q:  My accountant says that KCKCC must provide me with a form 1098-T.

A:  The IRS does not require KCKCC to furnish a Form 1098T in the following instances:

  • Payments for non-academic, non-credit courses, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program.
  • Enrolled student is a nonresident alien, unless requested by the student.
  • Grants or scholarships pay the entire balance of QTRE, or a waiver covers the entire balance.
  • A formal billing arrangement exists between an institution and a student’s employer or a governmental entity, which covers the student’s QTRE, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.

Q:  Why isn’t Box 2 filled out on my Form 1098-T when it has been in prior years?

A:  Prior to 2018, Form 1098-T included a dollar amount in Box 2 that represented the QTRE the college billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year.  Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under the federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, the college must report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid (out-of-pocket) during the calendar (tax) year.

Q:  My SSN is wrong on my Form 1098-T.  Can I have a new one sent to me?

A:  If your SSN is incorrect, you need to visit the Registrar’s office in person with your social security card, verify the correct number, and request a change to your student records.  Once completed, the Registrar’s office notifies the Bursar’s office, and issues an updated Form 1098-T.  Please contact the Registrar’s office at (913) 288-7536 for hours or questions concerning the addition of your SSN to your student records.  Allow 48 hours or two business days for this process.

Q:  I can’t get access to my Form 1098-T because I have graduated and have forgotten my access information.

A:  Please contact Technical Support, 913-288-7479 for assistance with access information.

Q:  I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do with this Form 1098-T. 

A:  We are unable to provide tax advice. For guidance, you may want to consider IRS Publication 970.pdf in addition to choosing a tax professional.