Military and Veterans Eligibility

Who is eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) education benefit(Volunteer force education assistance)?
In general, to be eligible for MGIB-AD (Chapter 30), you must have entered active duty after June 30, 1985, and not declined participation in the program.

Who is eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) benefits (For veterans with service connected disabilities?
VEAP (Chapter 31) is available if you:

    1. Are active duty and expect to receive an honorable discharge upon separation from active duty
    2. Active, apply for services, and receive a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the VA
    1. Veteran that has received or will receive a discharge that is other than dishonorable
    2. Veteran that has a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%
    3. Submitted a completed application for VR&E services

The basic period of eligibility is 12 years from the latter of either the date of separation from active duty or the date a veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating.

For additional help, please use the "Ask a Question" tab at

Who is eligible for Veterans Education Assistance Program (Chapter 32) benefits (Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program)?
VEAP (Chapter 32) is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985, and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. You must have made original contributions prior to April 1, 1987, and you could make a maximum contribution of $2700 to your account.

Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Who is eligible for Post 9/11 GI-Bill Benefits (Chapter 33)?
Veterans who have served at least 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001 and received an honorable discharge will qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for the full benefit a veteran must have served at least 3 years of active duty after September 10, 2001. Those veterans who qualify for the Active Duty GI Bill, the Reserve GI Bill or REAP will have the option to choose which benefit best suits their need.

For veterans who served on active duty after 9/10/2001, the following chart applies:
Member Serves Percentage of Maximum
Benefit Payable
At least 36 months
At least 30 continuous days on active duty and
must be discharged due to service-connected disability
At least 30 months, but less than 36 months
At least 24 months, but less than 30 months
At least 18 months, but less than 24 months
At least 12 months, but less than 18 months
At least 06 months, but less than 12 months
At least 90 days, but less than 06 months


Who’s eligible for Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35) benefits and what can they be used for?
The Dependents’ Educational Assistance program provides education benefits for the spouse and dependent children of a veteran or service member who:

  • Is determined to be permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes, or
  • Is on active duty and is likely to be discharged with a permanent and total disability, or
  • Died in service, or
  • Died of service connected causes, or
  • Is currently missing in action or captured in the line of duty.

This benefit may be used for pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree, courses leading to a certificate or diploma from business, technical or vocational schools, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training programs. Benefits for correspondence courses are available to spouses only. The program provides up to 45 months of education or training.

Who is eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606) education benefit?
Members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard Reserves, the Army National Guard, and the Air Guard are eligible for MGIB-SR (chapter 1606). The Reserve and Guard components decide who is eligible for the program. VA makes the payments for training.

Eligibility Requirements are:

  • A 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserves
  • Complete Initial Active Duty for Training.
  • Meet the requirements for a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before applying for benefits.
  • Remain in good standing in a Selected Reserve Unit.

For more detailed information about MGIB-SR (1606), including how to apply

Who is eligible for REAP (Chap 1607)?
The Secretaries of each military service, Department of Defense, and Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) determine the criteria for eligibility. The law requires DoD to give you written notification of eligibility for REAP. A member of a reserve component who serves on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10 U.S. Code for a contingency operation and who serves at least 90 consecutive days or more is eligible for chapter 1607. National Guard members also are eligible if their active duty is under section 502(f), title 32 U.S.C. and they serve for 90 consecutive days when authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency and is supported by federal funds. Individuals are eligible as soon as they reach the 90-day point whether or not they are currently on active duty. DoD will fully identify contingency operations that qualify for benefits under chapter 1607.

Disabled members who are injured or have an illness or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty and are released from active duty before completing 90 consecutive days are also eligible.

If you are unsure about whether you are eligible for education benefits, please submit an application to VA.

Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability

While the Post-9/11 GI Bill offers a very generous post-service education benefit, a special provision of the program allows career service members the opportunity to share their education benefits with immediate family members.

Allowing career service members to transfer their GI Bill benefits to family members has long been one of the most requested items among military family readiness and advocacy groups.

The department has established the policies and procedures for this important new program. These policies and procedures are described below.

Application Procedures

Applications for transferability will start on June 29, 2009. However, the effective date of any transfer will be no earlier than August 1, 2009, regardless of application date. All applications will be submitted through the Transferability of Educational Benefits (TEB) website, located at . Service members will be able to securely access this site with a Common Access Card, a DoD Self Service User ID, or a DFAS PIN. Currently this application may be accessed only with Internet Explorer.


Eligible Individuals

Any member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and
  • Has at least 6 years of service in the Armed Forces on the date of election and agrees to serve 4 additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election.

  • Has at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces (active duty and/or selected reserve) on the date of election, is precluded by either standard policy (service or DoD) or statute from committing to 4 additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute, or

  • Is or becomes retirement eligible during the period from August 1, 2009, through August 1, 2013. A service member is considered to be retirement eligible if he or she has completed 20 years of active duty or 20 qualifying years of reserve service.

  • For those individuals eligible for retirement on August 1, 2009, no additional service is required.

  • For those individuals who have an approved retirement date after August 1, 2009, and before July 1, 2010, no additional service is required.

  • For those individuals eligible for retirement after August 1, 2009, and before August 1, 2010, 1 year of additional service after approval of transfer is required.

  • For those individuals eligible for retirement on or after August 1, 2010, and before August 1, 2011, 2 years of additional service after approval of transfer are required.

  • For those individuals eligible for retirement on or after August 1, 2011, and before August 1, 2012, 3 years of additional service after approval of transfer required.

Eligible Family Members

An individual approved to transfer an entitlement to educational assistance under this section may transfer the individual’s entitlement to:

  • The individual’s spouse.

  • One or more of the individual’s children.

  • Any combination of spouse and child.

  • A family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits, at the time of transfer to receive transferred educational benefits.

  • A child’s subsequent marriage will not affect his or her eligibility to receive the educational benefit; however, after an individual has designated a child as a transferee under this section, the individual retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.

  • A subsequent divorce will not affect the transferee’s eligibility to receive educational benefits; however, after an individual has designated a spouse as a transferee under this section, the eligible individual retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.

Nature of Transfer

An eligible Service member may transfer up to the total months of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, or the entire 36 months if the member has used none.

Family member use of transferred educational benefits is subject to the following:


  • May start to use the benefit immediately.

  • May use the benefit while the member remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty.

  • Is not eligible for the monthly stipend or books and supplies stipend while the member is serving on active duty.

  • Can use the benefit for up to 15 years after the service member’s last separation form active duty.


  • May start to use the benefit only after the individual making the transfer has completed at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces.

  • May use the benefit while the eligible individual remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty.

  • May not use the benefit until he/she has attained a secondary school diploma (or equivalency certificate), or reached 18 years of age.

  • Is entitled to the monthly stipend and books and supplies stipend even though the eligible individual is on active duty.

  • Is not subject to the 15-year delimiting date, but may not use the benefit after reaching 26 years of age.

KCKCC uses cookies to understand how you use the website and how to improve the overall experience. Read our website privacy policy