Academic Policies and Procedures

Academic Information

Students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the rules and regulations of the College as set forth in this catalog. Official announcements are posted regularly on campus bulletin boards and published in the College newspaper and website.

Student Classification

Students enrolled at the College are classified as freshmen, sophomores, or special students.

Freshmen - enrolled in or have earned from 0-29 semester hours of college credit.
Sophomores - enrolled in or have earned 30 to 59 semester hours.
Special students - earned 60 semester hours or more of college credit.

Full Semester

Overload – Students carrying more than 18 semester credit hours
Full-time – Students carrying 12-18 semester credit hours
Three-quarter – Students carrying 9-11 semester credit hours
Half-time – Students carrying 6 -8 semester credit hours
Less than half-time – Students carrying fewer than 6 semester credit hours

Note: Although they may not carry the traditional 12 credit hours, students accepted into Health Professions programs are considered full time due to the hours spent in area medical facilities gaining their practical experience.

8 week terms and Summer Session

Overload – Students carrying more than 9 semester credit hours
Full-time – Students carrying 6-9 semester credit hours
Half-time – Students carrying 3-5 semester credit hours
Less than half-time – Students carrying fewer than 3 semester credit hours

Credit Transferred

Transfer credits taken at regionally accredited colleges and universities or other institutions approved by the Registrar are evaluated based on the students declared area of interest. Approved courses are eligible to be posted on the KCKCC transcript after the student enrolls and completes a minimum of twelve credit hours. All accepted and posted transfer credit hours and grades are calculated with KCKCC course work to determine cumulative grade point average.

Academic Honesty

It is assumed that all students are enrolled in class to learn; therefore, cheating is not an acceptable practice. Dishonesty of any type in a course, including examinations or plagiarized materials, can result in a grade of F and may be cause for suspension or dismissal. Plagiarism occurs when a student uses the ideas or writing of another person and passes the information off as his or her own work.


Students are expected to have regular and punctual attendance in class and other college activities. The College is interested in the educational development of its students, and attendance in class is considered a necessary part of the process. When absent, a student misses material covered in class that may not be covered in the reading assignments. Students are held responsible for all information and assignments missed due to their absence. Each instructor informs the class of his/her attendance policy in a written format at the beginning of the semester.

Class begins promptly at the scheduled time. Students who arrive late interrupt class and may be considered absent. In the event the instructor is delayed for the start of class, students are expected to wait 20 minutes before leaving the room.

Planning Class Schedules

When planning class schedules, students should keep in mind their vocational goals, graduation requirements at KCKCC, and graduation requirements at four-year institutions. Students who intend to continue their studies beyond the community college level should select their courses to meet the requirements of the department and institution from which they expect to receive their degree.

All KCKCC degree-seeking students are required to complete 6 credit hours in English Composition (in some programs Technical Writing is a substitute for three of these hours) and 3 credit hours in public speaking. Proper prerequisites for courses must be observed except when they have been waived by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

In addition, students should take into consideration their jobs and family responsibilities when planning their schedules so that they can allow for adequate library and study time.

Credit Hours

The term credit hour is a unit of academic credit earned. Credit hours at KCKCC are awarded using the contact hour guidelines of the Kansas Board of Regents. One (1) semester hour of credit will be awarded as follows:

  • Lecture courses: 750 minutes of class instruction and a final examination.
  • Lab courses: 1,125 minutes of laboratory class.
  • Internship: 2,700 minutes of on-the-job training, clinical, externship, etc.
  • On-line course: based on the amount of time needed to achieve the courses competencies in a face-to-face setting.


Examples of credit hour awarding

  • A lecture class meets three times a week for one hour over the entire semester = 3 credit hours.
  • A combined lecture/laboratory course meets for lecture three times a week for one hour and for laboratory two times a week for two hours = 5 credit hours.
Each week, students should plan to devote three hours of study outside of class time for each hour of credit in which they are enrolled.


Course Load

For Fall and Spring semesters, a student’s course load typically ranges from 12-18 hours with 15 being the average. For the Summer semester and mid-term/late term start courses, 6 credit hours is average. Students are not permitted to enroll in more than 18 credit hours during a regular semester without special permission from the Academic Dean in which the overload occurs. The judgment to grant an overload is based on but not limited to past academic performance; demands on time; such as, extracurricular activities; employment over 20 hours a week; and family obligations.

Course Numbers

At KCKCC, the numbering system for classes is not meant to restrict students but to assist them in their academic planning. Classes are numbered accordingly: Courses numbered 0-99 do not transfer to four-year universities or count towards graduation at KCKCC. These college preparation classes aid students who have not recently completed four (4) years of English and three (3) years of math in high school. Courses numbered 0-99 may be required prerequisites to courses numbered 100-200.

  • Courses numbered 100-199 are suggested as freshman level courses.
  • Courses numbered 200-299 are suggested as sophomore level courses.


Deleted and Dropped Classes

Courses may be deleted or dropped during the designated periods by submitting the request in writing, or by performing the action online through WebAdvisor®. When a class is deleted before the semester begins, all tuition and fees are deleted and there is no record of the enrollment on the official KCKCC transcript. When a course is dropped, students receive a partial refund, and there is no record of the enrollment on the official KCKCC transcript. All appeals to the stated policy must be directed to the Dean of Enrollment Management/Student Services.

Added Classes

Currently enrolled students may add a class during the schedule adjustment period. Tuition and fees will be added to the student account. Students are responsible for contacting their instructor as soon as a course is added to obtain a syllabus and discuss any missed course instruction.


Instructors are responsible for providing students with a course syllabus at the beginning of the term stating their attendance policy and if they practice the Administrative Withdrawal process.

Student Withdrawal

Students may have a “W” posted on their transcript instead of a letter grade by officially withdrawing from a course. Students may withdraw from a course after the drop period has passed. There is no refund for a withdrawal, and students are financially responsible for the tuition and fees for the course. The academic consequences from this action include receiving the grade of "W" for the course, which will appear on any unofficial or official transcripts. A grade of "W" will not impact your GPA nor count as completed credit toward your degree. Withdrawing can potentially impact a student’s academic and financial aid standing and should only be done if it is their only option. Withdrawing from a course can have financial and academic implications that should be taken into consideration when making this decision. Recent changes in financial aid rules and veterans education benefits have further complicated the course withdrawal process.

Prior to withdrawing, students are encouraged to talk with their instructor about their progress in the course based on the grading criteria stated in the syllabus, participation, and grades earned to date. Instructors may also be able to explore opportunities that may allow students to successfully complete the course in accordance with KCKCC guidelines and policies. Students should also visit the Learning Commons and Disability Services to find out more about the free academic resources and services available.

KCKCC is committed to helping students achieve their academic goals; however, circumstances may arise that prevent students from successfully completing their coursework as planned.

Withdrawal Procedures

  • Students may submit the Student Withdrawal Form found on WebAdvisor®
  • Students may submit a withdrawal form with a Student Success Advisor on Main Campus, Pioneer Career Center, or the Technical Education Center
  • Students may submit a hand written request by mail, e-mail or fax to the attention of the Registrar’s Office. The request must include student name, student ID, the course the student wishes to withdraw from and student’s signature.

    Office Fax: 913-288-7648
    Address Information:
    Kansas City Kansas Community College
    Registrar’s Office
    7250 State Ave, Kansas City, KS 66112

If students stop attending but do not officially withdraw from a course, an ‘F’ is posted on their transcript. The deadlines for withdrawing are as follows:

  • Semester courses (16 weeks): Students may withdraw up to three (3) weeks before the start of final examinations.
  • Summer session, mid-term, and block courses: Students may withdraw up to two (2) weeks before final examinations.
  • Mini-courses: no withdrawal period.


Administrative Withdrawals

Students may be administratively withdrawn from a course by their instructors for excessive absences or if the student stops attending. Instructors provide students with a course syllabus at the beginning of the semester stating their attendance policy and administrative withdrawal procedures.

  • Semester courses (16 weeks): Instructors may submit Administrative Withdrawal forms up to three (3) weeks before the start of final examinations.
  • Summer session, mid-term, and block courses: Instructors may submit Administrative Withdrawal forms up to two (2) weeks before final examinations.
  • Mini-courses: no withdrawal period.


The Registrar’s Office notifies students by a written letter in the mail if they have been administratively withdrawn. If students wish to remain in the course, they need to contact the instructor within three class periods to be reinstated. The decision to reinstate a student rests entirely with the instructor. Instructors are not required to provide make-up work or reinstate students who have been administratively withdrawn from class.

Students who have been Administratively Withdrawn and are not reinstated receive a WA on their transcript. There is no refund for an Administrative Withdrawal, and students are financially responsible for the tuition and fees for the course. Re-enrollment in a subsequent semester is required to achieve a grade for the course.

Final Examinations

A final examination week is scheduled at the end of each semester. Final exams are mandatory and all classes meet on an extended two-hour time period during this week according to the times published. Final examinations are considered part of the evaluation procedure used by instructors in teaching their courses. Permission for a student to reschedule a final exam is granted only in special cases with the approval of the student’s instructor and the Academic Dean.


A student’s college work is evaluated in terms of a letter grade. Only semester grades are recorded on a student’s college transcript. Grades are recorded as follows:
  • A - Superior
  • B - Good
  • C - Average
  • D - Inferior
  • F - Failure
  • I - Incomplete
  • CR - Credit
  • AUD - Audit
  • W- Withdrawal
  • WA - Administrative Withdrawal
  • MP - Making Progress
  • NP - Not Passed
  • P - Pass

Additional Explanation of Grades

Pass/Not Passed is a grade not computed into the student’s grade-point average. A grade of P indicates the student completed and passed the requirements of the class. A grade of NP indicates the student did not complete the requirements of the course.

Credit is a grade that indicates a student has received credit for the course but the grade is not calculated in the grade-point average. The credit hours do count towards graduation requirements.

Incomplete is a grade that indicates the student’s academic work is of passing quality but has not been completed. Course work needed to remove the grade of “I” is expected to be completed during the following semester. The maximum length of time to fulfill the requirement(s) for an incomplete grade is one (1) year after enrolling in the course.

If course work is not completed within a year, the grade of I will change to an F unless the instructor specifies an alternative grade within the designated time period (one year after enrolling in the course). Incomplete grades must be resolved to fulfill graduation requirements.

Arrangements to complete the missing course work are to be made directly with the Instructor awarding the “I” grade and in accordance with departmental and other KCKCC policies. In the absence of the original Instructor, the Academic Dean will handle special circumstances. The Report of Incomplete Grade Form must be completed by the instructor documenting the reasons for granting an “I” grade and required work to be completed in order to remove the “I” grade. The Report of Incomplete Grade Forms are filed within the appropriate Academic Division. Resolution of the “I” grade does not involve a complete repeat of the course, only the completion of the missing course work. A student does not re-register for the course.

Audit is a grade that designates a student enrolled in a course for the content to be gained, not for academic credit and a grade. Students must notify their Student Success Advisor, Program Coordinator or the Registrar when they enroll of their intention to audit a class. Enrollment in audited courses cannot be processed via WebAdvisor®. The audited course will appear on the transcript with a grade notation “AUD”. Audit hours are not considered for Financial Aid. An audited course may be taken for academic credit in a subsequent semester.

Making Progress is a grade that may be assigned only for designated developmental courses. This grade indicates that the students has made significant progress but needs more time to achieve a passing grade. The student must re- enroll in the course in order for advancement to the next level. Grades may be earned following re-enrollment for develop mental courses. The Grade of MP has no value in computing grade point average and does not carry credit towards graduation. MP will be counted as not passing in the Student Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress calculation.

Repeating Courses

General Guidelines

  • A student may attempt a course three times at KCKCC. If a student is not successful in completing the course after the third attempt, they must complete the course at a different accredited Community College or University and transfer the course back to KCKCC.
  • Students can repeat courses for the purpose of raising their grade-point average only if a grade of D or F is earned in a class.
  • When a course is repeated, the newly earned grade cancels, but does not remove, the previous grade recorded on the transcript. The new grade is used to figure the cumulative grade-point average.


Request to Repeat a “C” or Better Grade

Students seeking a degree or certificate at KCKCC who wish to repeat a course in which they earned a grade of “C” or better need special permission to repeat the course, unless the student plans are to audit the course. The following criteria are used in the judgment of granting permission to repeat a course for which a grade of “C” or better was earned.

  • Occasionally, at the instructor’s discretion, a student is required to repeat a course in its entirety if an incomplete grade was earned in the class.
  • Specialized programs may require students to re-enroll in a course if it was taken more than seven (7) years ago in science fields.
  • A Program Coordinator requires repeating a course for refresher purposes to follow an industry sequence of program requirements.


Students should meet with their Student Success Advisor or Program Coordinator to determine eligibility to repeat the course, then submit all supporting documentation to the Registrar’s Office for recommendation. Students will be notified in written correspondence of the decision to approve or deny the repeat.

  • Students are not eligible to repeat a course that was part of their earned KCKCC degree.
  • Students who have completed a course with a “C” grade or better at KCKCC who are wanting to repeat that course for acceptance into a program at a transfer school must submit documentation from the transfer school that repeating this course is required. The documentation must be on the transfer school’s letterhead, signed and dated by the transfer school’s program director. This documentation will be provided to the Student Success Advisor upon enrollment then submitted to the Registrar’s Office for final approval.


If approved, the most recent grade is used and excludes all prior grades from GPA calculation. Repeating a course with a grade of “C” or better eliminates the student from graduating with honors.

Grade Changes

Only the instructor of a course can initiate a grade change. The instructor must submit a grade change form in the Registrar’s Office. All grade changes must be made within two semesters of a student’s initial enrollment. Any deviation from this policy must be authorized by the Vice President of Academic Affairs. The appropriate Academic Dean MUST approve an “F”, “W”, “WA”, “MP” or “NP” grade change or if the grade change is over the 1-year allotted time limit.

Grade Appeal Policy

The Grade Appeal Procedure is designed to assure students an orderly process for appeal and review of allegedly capricious final grades and to assure instructors their essential function of evaluation of student performance. Students, of course, are responsible for meeting the standards of academic performance established for each course in which they are enrolled.

The Grade Appeal Procedure is available only for review of allegedly capricious grading, and not for review of the judgment of instructors in assessing the quality of students’ work. The procedure must be initiated within four (4) weeks after the start of the next regular Fall or Spring semester.

Capricious grading, as that term is used here, consists only of the following:

  • The assignment of a grade to a particular student on some basis other than performance in the course;
  • The assignment of a grade to a particular student by resorting to more exacting or demanding standards than were applied to other students in the course; or
  • The assignment of a grade by substantial departure from the instructor’s previously announced standards.


In general, students are encouraged to discuss any academic matter informally with their instructors or, if necessary, with the appropriate Instructional Dean before initiating the procedure. Resorting to the student grievance procedure should be made only when students believe the course grade was capriciously assigned and the results of informal consultation are unsatisfactory.

Students seeking additional information on the policies and procedures for grade appeals should contact the Dean of Enrollment Management/Student Services.

Step 1

Students should first discuss a course grade that they consider capricious with the course instructor. If anyone other than that instructor is first approached, the student should be referred to that instructor, unless there are compelling reasons to the contrary. In the latter instance, the student should be referred to the Dean of that division. If a grade appeal is made against a Dean, then the most senior member of the division would assume the role of the Dean for the purpose of the appeal.

Step 2

If the matter cannot be resolved by consultation with the instructor, the student should confer with the appropriate Dean and present in writing all facts and allegations on which the student is prepared to rely thereafter. This has to be done within 10 college days of the student/instructor consultation. In turn and also within 10 college days, the instructor must prepare a written explanation of the disputed grade for the Dean.

Step 3

The Dean will arrange a meeting with the instructor and student within 10 college days of receiving the written facts and allegations.

Step 4

If the matter is not resolved to the satisfaction of both the instructor and the student, the Dean will establish an ad hoc departmental committee for that purpose. The committee will consist of 3-5 members of that department. Should a department not have 3-5 members, the Dean will appoint 3-5 members from other departments within that same division. The departmental committee may recommend:

  • That the grade stands
  • That the instructor reevaluate the evidence of the student’s performance.
  • Other remedies which, under the circumstances of the particular case, seem more likely to produce an equitable resolution.


Committee recommendations will be communicated both to the student and to the instructor within 10 college
days of the meeting. If the recommendation is either b or c above, and the instructor declines to comply with the recommendation, the Dean may then require the instructor to make an appropriate grade change. If, in this instance, the instructor continues to refuse to comply, the Dean may recommend to the Dean of Enrollment Management/Student Services that the Registrar be asked to alter the course grade on the student’s permanent record. In this case, the instructor will be advised of his right to appeal to the Dean of Enrollment Management/Student Services.

Step 5

If the result of the departmental review is a recommendation that the original grade stand, the student may appeal to the Dean of Enrollment Management/Student Services. The Dean of Enrollment Management/Student Services may:

  • Accept the results of the departmental review and confirm that the grade be allowed to stand.
  • Ask the department to reconsider the case citing errors, inconsistencies, omissions, etc., which may have influenced the departmental recommendation.
  • Take personal responsibility for asking the Registrar to alter the course grade on the student’s permanent record.


The decision of the Dean of Enrollment Management/Student Services will be communicated to the student, the instructor, and the department.

Grade Points and Grade Point Average

Grade points are assigned to letter grades as follows:

  • A - 4 points per credit hour
  • B - 3 points per credit hour
  • C - 2 points per credit hour
  • D - 1 point per credit hour
  • F - 0 points per credit hour
  • P, NP, W, WA, I, AUD, MP No grade points are given


A student’s grade-point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total credit hours attempted.

Course work completed on a pass/no credit basis is counted in credit hours towards graduation but not towards the credit hours used to compute the cumulative grade-point average.

Credit hours with grades of W, WA, I, P, NP, AUD and MP are not used in figuring cumulative grade-point averages. If students repeat a course, the second grade is recorded on the transcript and used in evaluating the cumulative grade-point average.

Transcript Request

The college transcript is a student’s permanent academic record. It contains information that requires a request that has been signed by the student and is in compliance with college policy. Transcript requests must be in writing and submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Phone or e-mail requests are not accepted authorization for transcript processing.

Transcripts are not released to students with financial or disciplinary holds on their records at KCKCC. Students who have access to the WebAdvisor® portal and do not have holds on their accounts can retrieve an unofficial transcript 24/7.

Kansas City Kansas Community College has authorized to manage the ordering, processing, and secure delivery of official student E-transcripts and printed paper transcripts. Electronic transcripts are generally processed within the same business day as submitted. Official transcript requests from 1984 forward will be processed by Transcripts will not be issued if any financial obligations exist with KCKCC. Requests submitted through are not subject to the same paper processing delays.

Students that have academic credit prior to 1983 or attended ATS, formerly known as AVTS, prior to 2009 will not be able to request Electronic Transcript Delivery. These students must submit a written request in person or mail in the signed transcript request form to Transcript Services in the Registrar’s office at main campus.

A written request must include the following: full name, previous names, student’s current mailing address, daytime phone number, student ID or Social Security number, date or last semester enrolled at the college, number of transcripts requested, signature, and complete address for where the transcript should be sent. Requests missing information and without the student’s signature will not be processed.

Transcript requests submitted directly to the college are processed within three working days. Requests submitted when the college is closed at the end of the semester and during peak enrollment periods require additional processing time. Exceptions to this policy are made only in extreme emergencies and with the Registrar’s permission.

Official transcripts sent to the student will be marked “ISSUED TO STUDENT”. These will be in a sealed envelope indicating there is an “Official Transcript(s) Enclosed. Transcript is official only if delivered in original sealed envelope.” It is the decision of the receiving party whether they will accept this as an official transcript or not. If not, the student will have to submit another request with payment and have the transcript sent directly to the receiving party.

Dean's Honor Roll

Students with outstanding grade-point averages are recognized with honors at the end of each semester. To be eligible, students must be enrolled in a minimum of nine (9) credit hours (in which grades A-F are recorded). The semester grade-point average, not the cumulative grade-point average, is used to determine Honor Roll eligibility.

  • President’s Honor Roll: 4.0 GPA for the semester
  • Vice President’s Honor Roll: 3.50-3.99 GPA for the semester
  • Honor Roll: 3.0-3.49 GPA for the semester.


Honors at Graduation

Students with outstanding grades are eligible to graduate with honors if they meet the following requirements:

  • Summa Cum Laude - cumulative grade-point average of 4.00.
  • Magna Cum Laude - cumulative grade-point average of 3.70 to 3.99.
  • Cum Laude - cumulative grade-point average of 3.40-3.69.


Students can graduate with honors if they have no more than 21 credit hours of Pass-No Credit courses, have not taken advantage of the Forgiveness Policy, and have not repeated a course with a grade of C or better. All course work must be completed before honors are awarded. Students who earn certificates only are not eligible to graduate with honors.

Honors Education Program graduates who have fulfilled the requirements of the Honors Education Program are recognized at graduation with a medallion, and receive “Honors Education Graduate” distinction on their transcript.

Academic Probation and Dismissal Policy

Students are expected to perform at an academic level which leads to their graduation. A minimum of a C average (2.00 GPA) is required for graduation, and students whose grades reflect they are not making satisfactory academic progress are placed on academic probation or are academically dismissed.

Academic Probation

This is a warning to students that their grade-point average has fallen below college standards. Academic probation is determined by the number of hours attempted and the cumulative grade-point average. Consult the Summary Chart for Academic Probation and Dismissal for exact information. Students can continue to enroll at the College as long as their GPA does not fall below the probation requirements. In an effort to repair the student’s grade point average, students with a GPA below 2.0 are strongly advised to limit credit hours to 9 during fall and spring semesters and 3 credit hours during midterm and summer sessions.

Academic Dismissal

Students with cumulative grade-point averages that have fallen below probation levels are academically dismissed for one semester and asked to reconsider and re-evaluate their career plans. Students who sit out for one semester may petition for reinstatement. Reinstatement forms are available in the Student Success Center. Each reinstatement form is considered individually by the Assistant Dean of Student Services.

Students reinstated at the College are placed on probation for one semester and must show academic improvement to continue taking classes. Until the Academic Dismissal status is lifted, the student's course load is limited to 6 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters and 3 credit hours during midterm and summer sessions. If no improvement is shown after three academic semesters, the student will not be eligible to re-enroll at the college for at least one year. A student’s academic work is evaluated on cumulative hours attempted as illustrated in the Probation and Dismissal chart listed below.

The Probation and Dismissal Chart is based on a student’s cumulative grade point average, including all previous college work.

Summary of Academic Probation and Dismissal

  • In Good Standing: 2.00 and above
  • Probation: 1.60-1.99
  • Dismissal: 1.59 and below


Students will be permitted to enroll on probation as long as their cumulative G.P.A. does not fall below the probation requirements. Once a student’s cumulative G.P.A. falls below probation requirements, the student will be academically dismissed for one semester. After sitting out for one semester, students may petition for reinstatement. Reinstatement forms are available in the Student Success Center. Restrictions are enforced if a student is allowed to reenroll after his/her third academic dismissal.

Transfer Students

Students transferring to KCKCC are subject to the same academic probation and dismissal policies as stated above.

Forgiveness Policy

Students who have one or more bankrupt semesters (i.e. a semester grade point average of 1.0 or under) can petition to have up to two (2) semesters of KCKCC work forgiven on their transcript. If forgiveness is granted, no grade points are computed on the transcript for the specific semester(s). To be eligible for forgiveness, students must attend an accredited college or university (KCKCC is preferred) and complete at least 12 consecutive credit hours with a grade of C or better following the poor academic semester.

In addition, students must meet the following criteria: make a complete curriculum change and/or wait an interim of three (3) years before filing for forgiveness.

The student must meet with a Student Success Advisor to discuss and complete the petition for Forgiveness. Submit the completed form to the Registrar’s Office by September 1 for the Spring semester or February 1 for the Fall semester. Each petition is considered individually by the Committee for Academic Progress. Students who have college work forgiven are not eligible for graduation with honors.

Students must be enrolled at KCKCC during the semester that Academic Forgiveness is granted by the committee.

Academic Renewal Policy

A transfer student who has one or more bankrupt semesters (i.e., a semester grade point average of 1.0 or under) from another post-secondary institution can petition for academic renewal at KCKCC. If academic renewal is approved, all previous coursework will continue to appear on the student’s transcript; however, the grade points from coursework affected by the Renewal will not be included in the student’s KCKCC cumulative GPA. While credits removed from the computation of the GPA as a result of renewal cannot be used to meet course or program requirements, they will still be used to determine eligibility for financial aid awards or athletics. Students granted renewal are not eligible for honors at graduation.

To be considered for renewal, the student must be seeking admittance into a KCKCC Program with Selective Admissions; prior course work at the other institution must have been completed at least three (3) years prior to petition; and the student must have completed at least twelve (12) semester credits at KCKCC during the last two (2) years with at least a 2.00 grade-point average (GPA).

The student must meet with a Student Success Advisor to discuss and complete the petition for Academic Renewal. Submit the completed form to the Registrar’s Office by September 1 for the Spring semester or February 1 for the Fall semester. Each petition is considered individually by the Committee for Academic Progress. Students who have been granted Academic Renewal are not eligible for graduation with honors.

The Committee for Academic Progress will review petitions once each Fall and Spring semester and as requested by the Registrar.

Academic Advising

Academic advising helps students realize the maximum educational benefits available to them by better understanding themselves and learning to use the resources of our educational institution. Each student who is admitted to KCKCC is assigned an academic advisor. Students who are undecided about their major are encouraged to speak with a Student Success Advisor in the Student Success Center. Students enrolled in the technical programs should seek academic advising from the coordinator of the program. Students enrolling as Presidential Scholarship recipients or in any Honors designated courses must meet with the Director of Honors Education Program during the enrollment/advising process.

Advisors help students define and develop realistic goals, identify special needs, find available resources, select courses consistent with educational and career goals, and discuss linkages between academic preparation and the world of work. The final responsibility for planning a degree program and fulfilling all graduation requirements and regulations rests with the student. The WebAdvisor® portal provides students and their advisors a variety of useful options to monitor progress toward goal completion.

Summer Sessions

The summer session is an integral part of the College’s academic calendar year designed for students who want to take course(s) in an intensive session. Day classes meet daily Monday through Thursday and evening classes meet two nights a week. Students who enroll for six (6) semester hours of course work during the summer are considered full-time students for enrollment purposes. All college admission requirements, tuition, and academic regulations for semester courses apply to the Summer Session.

Night Courses

Evening courses at KCKCC are an extension of the day curriculum. Classes are scheduled so students who work full time during the day are still able to attend classes at night. All college admission requirements, tuition, and academic regulations for day courses apply to evening classes. Students who enroll only in evening classes should be advised that there are a limited number of course selections available at night. In addition, several of the Associate in Applied Science degrees cannot be completed by taking evening classes exclusively.


Guidelines for Eligibility and Considerations

  • Maintain an overall cumulative grade-point average of 2.00.
  • Complete 12 of the last 24 credit hours of their degree at KCKCC.
  • Complete the 15 credit hours in residency requirement at KCKCC.
  • Apply no more than 30 credit hours of nontraditional studies credit to graduation requirements.
  • Earn only one degree or certificate in a semester.
  • Approved programs completed at a Kansas Area Vocational Technical School apply as credit hours only toward one associate degree at KCKCC and cannot be applied toward a second degree.


Meeting Deadlines

Students are responsible for meeting all graduation requirements at the College. One semester before graduation, students need to complete an application for graduation and a degree check in the Student Success Center.
Deadlines for Degree Checks

  • Fall Semester: October 20
  • Spring Semester: March 20
  • Summer Session: June 6


Graduation Fee

All students completing application for graduation are charged a $20.00 graduation fee. This fee is required even if students do not participate in commencement. If students do not meet graduation requirements, there is an $8.00 fee for the succeeding application. An $8.00 fee is required for orders of previously earned diplomas.

Graduation Activities

Commencement exercises are held in May of each year. Students completing all degree requirements for the Spring semester and prior Fall semesters are eligible to participate in the commencement. Summer candidates who are within nine (9) credit hours of completing degree requirements and enrolled in the courses needed to complete degree requirements are also eligible to participate.

The date for cap and gown distribution is announced by the Director of Student Activities.
Note: All course work must be completed before students can receive honors recognition during commencement.

Student Grievance Policy

If a student feels a college employee has displayed racial or sexual discrimination or harassment, taken unfair disciplinary action, or has treated a student unfairly in academic, work-related, or any other matters, the student has a right to express his/her perceived unfair treatment and seek resolution through the Student Grievance Procedure.

For further information on the Student Grievance Procedure, contact the Dean of Enrollment Management/Student Services, Upper Level, Jewell Student Center, or call (913) 288-7691.

College-Wide Student Outcomes Assessment

Student outcomes assessment is defined as a systematic process of gathering and using data that can help an institution’s program and/or services determine how they are accomplishing the mission.

In its commitment to maintaining quality academic programs and providing strong support services, KCKCC is involved in a college-wide student assessment program. The purpose of this assessment is to determine a student’s achievement of college level expectations and the College’s capabilities to meet the needs of students. Assessment is on going, occurring every semester in various ways.

Participation in the assessment process is required of all students who enroll in any credit course. Sincerity of the participants is important and will provide KCKCC with accurate information that will be used to plan effective academic programs and services. Assessment activities may include, but are not limited to, surveys, interviews, questionnaires, in-class assessments, standardized tests, portfolios and faculty developed exit tests. Data gathered will be used to evaluate student achievement and curriculum effectiveness to assist in program and course revision, improve instruction and learning, assess the effectiveness of campus support services, and help students better understand self-evaluation and goal-setting.

© Kansas City Kansas Community College
7250 State Avenue | Kansas City, KS 66112 | 913-334-1100
An Equal Opportunity Educational Institution
Contact | Accessibility | KCKCC Statements

KS Degree Stats