Monday, February 10, 2014
The AARP Tax-Aide Foundation is offering free tax help on the Kansas City Kansas Community College campus to those who qualify.
The program is available for taxpayers with low and moderate income, with special attention to those who are 60 and older. The program is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Thursdays, through April 10 in the Jewell Building, Upper Level Lounge. The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is the largest free, volunteer-run tax assistance and preparation service in the United States.
Interested individuals need to bring several things with them when they come. These include:
- Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
- Copy of last year’s tax return(s)
- W-2 forms from each employer
- SSA-1099 form if paid Social Security benefits
- 1099-R form, if received a pension or annuity
- Unemployment compensation statements
- 1099-MISC showing any miscellaneous income
- All forms indicating federal income tax paid
- Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security number)
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of sold assets
- All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions.
For more information or to locate additional sites, call 1-888-AARPNOW (227-7669) or visit the AARP website at www.aarp.org/taxaide
. Priority service will be provided to tax payers based on the Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program’s legislative intent.