Wednesday, May 28, 2014
Looking for a way to pay for your college education? There is still time to apply for a scholarship provided by the Kansas City Kansas Community College Endowment Association.
The Endowment Association awards scholarships to KCKCC students annually ranging from $250 to full-ride scholarships. These funds can be used for paying tuition or purchasing textbooks and are awarded based on academic qualifications as well as other scholarship criteria.
Scholarships offered by the Endowment Association include:
- Frank and Doris Schlagle Scholarship – Up to $1,500 per semester and covers tuition, fees and required textbooks for six to 15 credit hours per semester. It is renewable as long as a student maintains at least a 3.25 grade point average and completes all courses taken. Preference is given to those who live in Wyandotte and Leavenworth. Applicants must be pursuing an associate degree or certificate from KCKCC.
- Frank and Doris Schlagle Scholarship Tier 2 – The scholarship covers tuition and fees only for six to 15 credit hours per semester. It is renewable if a student maintains at least a 3.0 GPA and completes all courses taken.
- Assurant Employee Benefits Scholarship for Students with Disabilities - $500 per semester and students must be physically, intellectually or learning disability to be eligible.
- Ed and Ione Trapp Veterinary Scholarship - $500 per semester and must be a declared pre-veterinary medicine major. Applicants must also be residents of Wyandotte or Leavenworth County.
- Etta Blanche Smith Dahlgren Scholarship – up to $1,000 per semester and applicants must be an elementary education major.
- Gingrich Family Scholarship – students must be a single parent majoring in the Allied Health program to be eligible. Amount will be determined by the family.
- John Stocksen Memorial Scholarship – business majors are eligible and amount will be determined by family.
- Thomas and Teresa Sullivan Scholarship – up to $1,000 per semester and computer information systems or mathematics majors are eligible.
- William Nelson Nicoll Jr. Scholarship - $500 per semester.
- Wyandotte County Association of Retired School Personnel – up to $1,000 per semester. Second year education majors are eligible.
- Wyandotte High School Class of ’55 – Applicants must be graduates of Wyandotte High School. It is renewable for up to three semesters.
- Rita M. Ahart Nursing Scholarship – $500 to $1,000 per semester. Applicants must be a seeking a degree in the KCKCC nursing program and be a Wyandotte County resident. Amount of award to be determined by the Ahart family.
- Students applying for most scholarships, other than the Frank and Doris Schlagle Scholarship, must have at least a 3.0 GPA or meet GED test scores that have been established. If applying for one of the Frank and Doris Schlagle Scholarship, students must have at least a 3.25 GPA to qualify.
To apply, a one page essay detailing degree/career plans and a transcript must be submitted with completed scholarship application. The deadline is June 1.
For more information or to apply, visit the KCKCC Endowment Association on the KCKCC main campus, 7250 State Ave. Information is also available by calling 913-288-7675 or sending an email to Dawanna Fangohr at firstname.lastname@example.org. Copies of the application are available in the Endowment Association and Financial Aid office. Scholarship applications can also be submitted through the KCKCC website