Correction of Education Records
Students have the right to ask to have records corrected that they believe are incorrect, misleading, or in violation of their privacy rights. Following are the procedures for the correction of records:
- A student must ask the Registrar of KCKCC to amend a record. In so doing, the student should identify the part of the record he/she wants changed and specify why he/she believes it is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of his or her privacy or other rights.
- KCKCC may comply with the request or it may decide not to comply. If it decides not to comply, KCKCC will notify the student of the decision and advise him/her of the right to a hearing to challenge the information believed to be inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's rights.
- Upon request, KCKCC will arrange for a hearing and notify the student, reasonably in advance, of the date, place, and time of the hearing.
- The hearing will be conducted by a hearing officer who is a disinterested party; however, the hearing officer may be an official of the institution. The student shall be afforded a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issues raised in the original request to amend the student's education records. The student may be assisted by one or more individuals, including an attorney.
- KCKCC will prepare a written decision based solely on the evidence presented at the hearing. The decision will include a summary of the evidence presented and the reasons for the decision.
- If KCKCC decides that the challenged information is not inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's right of privacy, it will notify the student that he/she has a right to place in the record a statement commenting on the challenged information and/or a statement setting forth reasons for disagreeing with the decision.
- The statement will be maintained as part of the student's education records as long as the contested portion is maintained. If KCKCC discloses the contested portion of the record, it must also disclose the statement.
- If KCKCC decides the information is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's right of privacy, it will amend the record and notify the student, in writing, that the record has been amended.