Online Course Information
The decision to take a class online should be carefully considered before enrolling. It is true that online courses allow students flexibility. While you can access your class at a time that works with your schedule, classes are generally not self-paced and have specific deadlines. No matter where you go or what time of day you wish to view course material, your class content is available 24/7. This is a wonderful advantage for those with full time jobs, families, transportation problems, or special needs. However advantageous online courses appear to be, please consider the following:
Online courses require time management skills. The student must log in regularly (3 or more times per week) and be prepared to read a great deal of information. Expect to spend 6 or more hours weekly on each online course, depending on the length of the course.
Most online courses at KCKCC are not self-paced. They have definite start and stop dates, with assignments due weekly.
Students are expected to spend time reading, visiting websites, and posting comments.
Occasionally, problems with technology may impair these activities. When problems occur, it is important to contact the technical support staff immediately. Generally, problems can be solved quickly and deadlines can be met.
Successful online students are typically highly motivated, disciplined, and patient. Students must have consistent and reliable Internet access. KCKCC provides open labs for students wishing to work on campus.
Each online course carries an access fee of $30.00. Web enhanced (WE) courses have a $15 fee. There may be additional fees, depending on the course. Web-enhanced courses meet on campus in a traditional timeframe with certain elements of the course available within the password protected website.
Basic computer skills for successful participation in the class include the following:
Minimum Computer Requirements for Online Students
- Keyboard/typing skills
- Efficient use of mouse
- Cut/copy and paste
- Ability to save documents on desktop or in a file
- Upload and download files
- Use of search engines
- Download and install plug-ins (if necessary)
- Print a web page
- Personal computer or administrative access to computer
- Computer labs available on KCKCC campuses (See above)
- Internet access or Internet Service Provider
- Web Browser supported by the Online Course System (ANGEL)
- E-mail Address
- All students now have a campus email
- Pop-up blocker and Security programs must allow access to the following websites:
- Internet Service Provider: DSL or Cable preferred
- Web Browser
- Internet Explorer or Firefox
- Keep current with all updates
- Office Productivity Suite, with Word Processor
- Microsoft Works, Microsoft Office, Open Office, or Corel Word Perfect
- Many classes, but not all, require the use of a word processor, such as MS Word, Wordpad, or OpenOffice Writer. Most instructors require documents written with these programs to be submitted in DOC or RTF formats.
- Adobe Reader. Many instructors utilize PDF files to deliver information. Visit http://www.adobe.com for the latest version
- CD-ROM or DVD. Some class' supporting material may require the use of CDs or DVDs.