Home  >  Academics  >  General Catalog  >  Admissions and Enrollment  >  International Students  


International students are welcome at KCKCC. To be considered for admission, international students must follow the procedures outlined below to meet admission requirements. KCKCC offers limited English as a Second Language Program and employment opportunities are limited. International students from countries where English is not the official language must also obtain a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 520 (paper), or 190 (computer) or 68 (internet based) to take academic classes. For ESL (English as a Second Language), international students need a score of at least 350 (paper), or 63 (computer) or 20 (internet based) to enroll in classes.

International students also need to have graduated from the equivalent of a U.S. high school (12 years of education) and submit the following documents before an I-20 will be issued. International students are classified non-residents and will be charged out-of-state tuition.

International students must submit the following items:

  • Complete an international application for admission.

  • KCKCC requires an $85.00 application processing fee for all international students. This includes all overseas and transfer students from other U.S. institutions. This payment is non-refundable.

  • Official/Attested High School/Secondary School Transcript and/or Leaving School Certificate - Applicants must provide official documentation from their home country showing subjects taken, yearly examination results, minimum passing marks, maximum passing marks, and date of graduation. Only the original documents or certified copies sent directly to KCKCC from the school/or National Exam Council are acceptable. (Non-English Language transcripts must include certified English translations). Students, who wish to have their foreign coursework accepted for credit at KCKCC, must have it evaluated by an independent agency. Check with the Admissions and Records Office for more information on foreign transcript evaluations.

  • Complete the Affidavit of Financial Support and have it Notarized or Attested. Bank statement or certification and official statement of sponsorship for $18,850.00 stated in U.S. dollars, to verify that the sponsor has sufficient funds for sponsoring one year of study at KCKCC. This includes the cost of tuition, books, off campus housing and living expenses. Financial information cannot be more than 2 months old at the time of the application deadline.

  • Medical Insurance is mandatory for all international students who attend KCKCC. Premiums are automatically billed to the student each semester and must be paid in full before you can enroll for the next semester.

  • Complete the health form and submit a TB test. A TB test is required before you can enroll in classes.

  • Pay the tuition deposit of $1,000.00 deposit. The deposit is required before an I-20 will be issued. The deposit will be applied to the student's first semester tuition and will be refunded if an F1 Visa is not received.

  • Students will also need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee of $200.00. This fee should be paid after receiving the KCKCC 1-20. The fee must be paid prior to the visa interview at the U.S. Embassy. For more detailed information regarding this requirement, please visit the U.S. Customs and Immigration website at www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/index.htm.

Application deadlines for New F1 students are as follows:
Fall semester June 1
Spring semester October 1

I-20's are not issued for the summer session.

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Score. Students whose first language is not English are required to provide an official TOEFL score of 520 or above on the paper test or 190 or above on the computerized test or a 68 on the Internet based test to be admitted to the college to take academic coursework. All TOEFL scores must be less than two years old by the expected date of enrollment at KCKCC.


have official transcripts documenting 12 hours of college level work with a 2.5 GPA or higher demonstrating English proficiency from an American university or college.

The TOEFL is given worldwide at scheduled times throughout the year. Students who cannot obtain a TOEFL bulletin or registration form locally, or who have general questions, can write or call:

TOEFL/TSE Services General Information Phone Number
PO Box 6151 or call (609) 951-1100
Princeton, NJ 08541-6151 USA WEB SITE - http://www.toefl.org

The institutional code for Kansas City Kansas County Community College is 6333

Students wanting to Transfer their F1 status to KCKCC:

A transfer applicant is any student (on a valid 1-20) who has or will have completed one or more semesters at another U.S. college/ university and be in good standing at their present college/university when applying to KCKCC. In addition to the items listed above for new students, students transferring from another college/university in the U.S. must also submit the following:

  1. International Student Transfer Form: This must be completed by the applicant and signed by the Foreign Student Advisor at the institution of current enrollment.
  2. Official College Transcript: Transfer students must have a cumulative G.P.A. of at least 2.00 and be in good student standing to be considered for acceptance to KCKCC. Transcripts/grade cards and a copy of your current class schedule are required prior to acceptance and will be part of the review process. After a 1-20 has been issued, transfer students must have official college/university transcripts sent directly to the Admissions Office from each U.S. institution. Hand carried copies will not be accepted. Transcripts from foreign universities are not required.
  3. Students who wish to have foreign coursework accepted for credit must have a course–by-course evaluation completed by an independent agency such as Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (www.ece.org). This evaluation will determine if you have credit hours that will transfer to KCKCC. Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. will send an official copy of your evaluated transcript to both you and Kansas City Kansas Community College. Contact the Director of Admissions for additional information.

Additional Notes:  Transfer students are required to complete a minimum of 15 hours at KCKCC to be awarded an associate degree.

Application deadlines for Transfer F1 students are as follows:
Fall semester August 1
Spring semester December 1

I-20's are not issued for the summer session.

All forms must be completed and returned to the Admissions and Records Office, Kansas City Kansas Community College, 7250 State Avenue, Kansas City, Kansas 66112-9978 U.S.A.

Students who do not have a TOEFL score of 350 will be admitted to our ESOL program according to the ACCUPLACER Levels of English Proficiency (LOEP) test scores.

For further information, please contact the ESOL coordinator at 913-288-7625.

Procedures for Students Needing English for Speakers of Other Languages - ESOL

English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) is designed for students who have beginning, intermediate, or advanced English skills. For admission into the program, students must provide a high school diploma or GED certificate.

Students needing English for Speakers of Other Languages are required to take the KCKCC English Proficiency Examination before enrolling in academic credit courses. Testing is by appointment. Call the ESOL Coordinator at 913-288-7625, or the Humanities and Fine Arts Division at (913) 288-7134, for an appointment.

Students needing the GED certificate or extra help with English skills should contact Continuing Education for non-credit ESOL at 913-288-7660.

Visiting F1 Visa students
Guest students may enroll at KCKCC for one or two classes. The student must bring a letter of permission each semester from the college indicated on their current I-20 or a copy of their current I-20 or I-94 card indicating they are at good standing at their current institution before they can enroll in classes. The student must also meet the English proficiency requirement for admission at KCKCC. If a student wishes to enroll in the majority of his/her classes at KCKCC, then he/she should transfer to KCKCC.

Resident Aliens
Students who have been granted permanent resident status by the U.S. Department of Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS). To qualify for in-state tuition rates, a student must have resided in the state of Kansas for at least six consecutive months and present his/her resident alien card, or I-551 passport stamp for temporary evidence of permanent residence as documentation. If a student cannot provide this documentation, he/she will be required to pay out-of-state tuition.

Undocumented Immigrants
Effective July 1, 2004, the Kansas Legislature (HB2145) established eligibility regulations for certain undocumented immigrants to qualify for paying resident tuition and fee rates when enrolling in classes after that date. Students are eligible for resident tuition rates if they meet the following criteria:

  • The student has attended an accredited Kansas high school for three or more years and either graduated from an accredited high school or earned a GED issued in the state of Kansas
  • In the case of a person without lawful immigration status: he/she has filed with the postsecondary educational institution an affidavit stating that the person or the person's parents have filed an application to legalize such person's immigration status, or such person will file such an application as soon as such person is eligible to do so or,
  • In the case of a person with a legal, nonpermanent immigration status: he/she has filed with the postsecondary educational institution an affidavit stating that such person has filed an application to begin the process for citizenship of the United State or will file such application as soon as such person is eligible to do so.

Kansas has no accreditation standards for home schools; therefore, home-schooled students are not eligible for resident rates under this law. Students who are eligible under HB2145 must contact the Admissions and Records Office to complete the necessary requirements.